Gay marriage amendment carries new support – Yahoo! News “We’re building votes,” said Sen. David Vitter, R-La., another new supporter. “That’s often what’s required over several years to get there, particularly to a two-thirds vote.”
You know David Vitter was in my class at De La Salle back in the 80’s. We did not share many classes (I was in Advanced Placement,) but I knew him. Back then he struck me as a dumb jock with a sophomoric sense of humor and I see he has not progressed much. I guess it is not surpirsing that he is insecure enough in his masculinity to jump on the bandwagon for this divisive foolishness.
Why we are wasting time on attempting to push discriminatory BS like this when we have more pressing things, like rebuilding New Orleans and Violet and De LA Croix and Mereaux, on the docket is quite simply beyond me. Then again why Vitter is in office is beyond me as well.
Haven’t we as a nation had enough of the distraction tactics? Gay marriage, scary! Ooh look, a birdie! New Orleans needs to be rebuilt? Ooh look, a colorful birdie! Mississippi is blasted into the stoneage by Katrina? Ooh look, the colorful birdie is having gay sex! Americans have been abandoned on their own soil while the Feds consolidate their corrupt power grabs? Ooh look at the birdie *POW*, oh thanks Mr. Cheney…..
EDIT: I think the following sums it up for me:
10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong
01) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
05) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
06) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more children.
07) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
08) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in America.
09) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven’t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.